Blood pressure monitors for home use are not generally covered by Medicare as it’s not a listed durable medical equipment item. A couple of exceptions are sometimes considered to for it to be covered, such as:
1) If you’re receiving blood dialysis in your home and a blood pressure monitor is needed.
2) An ambulatory blood pressure monitor that records blood pressure readings for a 24-hour cycle for persons with “white coat hypertension”
If an exception is granted and the device is covered, Medicare Part B pays for the rental of the monitor if rented from a Medicare-certified supplier of medical equipment. Medicare Part B’s portion would be approximately 80% of the expense – you would be responsible for the remaining 20%. If you have a Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plan, then the plan would cover the other 20%.
If you would like to look into purchasing a Medicare Supplement plan or see if you can lower the rate of an existing one, please don’t hesitate to contact me for help with your coverage.
I hope the information is helpful – thanks very much.