Get an Unemployment Insurance Account Number (UIAN) in Minnesota

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestby feather

According to Minnesota's Unemployment Insurance Program's website, If you want to hire employees, and as part of a workers' compensation policy, Minnesota employers are required to register and receive an unemployment insurance account number (UIAN). Unemployment insurance is a federal law administered by the states.

Unemployment insurance is meant to provide partial and temporary wage replacement to employees when they lose their job through no fault of their own. The program is funded through a tax imposed on employers based on benefits paid to formers employees and total wages paid to employees, also known as the experience rating.

Hiring a Subcontractor, What You Need To Know For Insurance

Unemployment insurance tax is paid quarterly and filings are made detailing the wages paid (wage detail report).

No all organizations pay a quarterly tax. If your a for-pofit entity, including sole proprietors, you most likely are required to have an UIAN number and pay unemployment taxes.

In order to register for a new employer account, you'll need the following information.

Payroll Service for Small Businesses Employers

Federal and state identification numbers:

  • Federal Employment Identification Number (FEIN)
  • Minnesota Department of Revenue Tax ID number, e-Services username and password

Business information:

  • Type of business (Sole proprietorship, LLC, corporation, etc.)
  • State and date of incorporation (if applicable)
  • Number of covered employees
  • Date covered employees first performed services in Minnesota
  • Date first wages were paid for Minnesota employment
  • Primary business activity performed in Minnesota

Business names and addresses:

  • "Legal Entity" name (as registered with the Secretary of State)
  • "Doing Business As" name (when different than "Legal Entity" name)
  • Physical address of business
  • Business address for correspondence mailings (when different from business location)

Owner/Officer information:

  • Owner/Officer names(s), home address. phone number
  • Social Security Number(s) or FEIN
  • Percentage of ownership



Workers’ Comp Requirements – Untangling the Confusion



Call and receive expert consulting or click below for quote
Button linked to quote page for commercial insurance quote